Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Sunday Funday


Before my boyfriend and I made the big move to the Big Easy, I constructed a list of all the things I wanted to do during our first year living in NOLA. Things like "Take a walk in Audubon park", "Eat a po-boy", and "See at movie at Prytania Theater" were crossed off the list quickly, but there are some that we still haven't gotten around to doing. With May 31st quickly approaching, I look at every day off work as an opportunity to complete something on the list.

Sunday just so happened to be an absolutely gorgeous day, so we decided to grab an early breakfast and then spend the afternoon at the Riverwalk, which I hadn't been to since before Katrina. I knew I would want to reminisce about going to the Riverwalk with my family as a kid, so instead of going to my favorite childhood breakfast joint (written about here), I wanted to commemorate the day by eating somewhere different. And nothing is as fun and different as Surrey's on Magazine Street. Their menu is quite extensive, offering everything from Scrambled Eggs with Salmon and the Tofu Breakfast Platter to Bananas Foster French Toast, Corned Beef Hash, and Biscuits with Sausage Gravy. They also have fresh squeezed vegetable and fruit juices that you can mix to make your own delicious and healthy concoction.

I have been to Surrey's a few times and seem to be pretty fond of the Migas, which are scrambled eggs with red onion, peppers, tomatoes, and cheese folded into corn tortilla chips, then topped with pico de gallo. And while I tend to sway towards breakfast dishes with eggs and veggies, instead of those covered in syrup, I have tried Surrey's Pain Perdu (french toast) and it tastes just as good as my dad's, if not better.

After filling up on eggs, boudin, cheese grits, and biscuits we went for our promised walk along the muddy Mississippi and shopped in some of the stores. The Riverwalk certainly isn't as great as it used to be, but it's always fun going to the places you loved so much as a kid and reliving those moments.




Eggs benedict with creamed spinach


The Migas with chorizo and cheese grits

No comments:

Post a Comment