Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Carnival Favorites


Well, Mardi Gras is officially over and after days of constant consumption I am somewhat relieved that I get to wait a whole year before doing it again. I will definitely have to up the cardio in the gym to work it all off!

Mardi Gras is my family's excuse to have in excess the things that we don't normally allow ourselves. From the king cakes to the fried chicken and the mimosas to the homemade Leidenheimer french toast, we did it big this Mardi Gras. Here are a few of my favorite things...


The Early's Breakfast muffins (made with biscuits, cream cheese and bacon)

Mimosas

Dad's french toast, made from day-old Leidenheimer bread, dipped in a mixture of milk, egg, and vanilla, dusted with cinnamon, and then cooked in butter in a cast iron skillet until golden brown

Jambalaya with crawfish and shrimp

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness Emily that all looks so delicious! Where is the King Cake from? I couldn't tell by the packaging. It looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The king cake is actually from our neighborhood Zara's! I am super picky when it comes to king cake and this one reminded me a lot of the old McKenzie's king cakes that I used to get when I was a kid. You can still get old fashioned McKenzie's king cakes at their locations in Metairie and Lakeview... but Zara's is a lot closer!

    ReplyDelete