Friday, February 26, 2010

Startin' the Day Off Right


I have been a huge breakfast fan my entire life. It's the driving force in getting me out of bed, especially if I wake up to the smell of pancakes and bacon. When I was a kid, weekends meant having friends over, sleeping late, watching countless Disney movies, and going to Bluebird Cafe on Sunday morning. Rarely we would go more than a couple of weeks without patronizing the neighborhood eatery. And many Uptowners were quite upset when the news rolled around that the cafe was closing its doors in the fall of 2009, due to leasing issues. Luckily, it was quickly reopened under new management and a new name. Sporting appetizing orange-colored walls and some of the friendliest wait-staff you will ever meet, Coulis, on Prytania, continues the long-loved reputation of the Bluebird Cafe. Their menu is as reasonable as it is delicious and their coffee ain't half bad either.

For breakfast I usually get an egg-white omelet with gruyere cheese, tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, and avocado. The omelet is fluffy and full of my chosen add-ins, never greasy and never rubbery... just perfectly cooked every time. Another favorite of mine is the eggs creole, which is scrambled eggs with sausage gravy, a grilled tomato, and cheese grits. Coulis also does their own take on an eggs benedict, placing two perfectly poached eggs on top of a jalapeno corn cake, pulled pork debris, topped with hollandaise. Talk about starting your day off delicious!

Coulis is a great place to enjoy the breakfast basics, but if you want to be "wowed" by a menu and order something out of the ordinary, I would suggest either Surrey's or Slim Goodies instead of Coulis. As for me, however, my deep connection to this particular breakfast joint keeps me coming back over and over again. It's nice that the new wait-staff already recognizes my face, continues to make my weekend mornings pleasant, and always keeps my tummy happy.


My favorite egg-white omelet and hash browns

Eggs creole

No comments:

Post a Comment