Monday, March 1, 2010

On the Lighter Side...


The past couple of weeks have been an eating frenzy and it has been pretty hard working it all off in the gym. With the Super Bowl, Mardi Gras, and Valentine's Day behind me, there aren't any other excuses to eat quite so much, at least not until my friend's wedding in April and my birthday in May. Until then, I endeavor to busy myself with finding healthy weekday options without sacrificing taste (recipe searching is one of my favorite pastimes). I recently came across this recipe for quinoa in my recipe binder and it turned out to be just what I was looking for. The bright colors from the edamame and roasted red peppers make this dish aesthetically pleasing, and the different textures from the beans, peppers, and quinoa make eating it even more enjoyable. Paired with a colorful homemade fruit salad, this veggie quinoa makes eating healthy during the week a whole lot less drab.


I eliminated the green beans to save time and as it turns out I didn't really miss them. I also suggest cooking the quinoa in chicken broth instead of water, as it adds more flavor.

Fruit salad: Red and green apples, strawberries and navel oranges. I pour some lemon and orange juice over the fruit to prevent the apples from turning brown and I add sliced bananas right before serving, otherwise they get too mushy.

2 comments:

  1. That quinoa dish looks awesome! I too have recently been eating a lot of it, it's so cheap to buy from the troughs at Whole Foods. I'm definitely going to give this recipe a try, thanks for passing along! My fave to mix with quinoa is black beans, corn, red peppers and green chiles with lime juice and cilantro for a southwest flair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rach - I love that idea! I have been coming up with my own recipes for quinoa and I had the idea to do a southwest version also... good to know it works!

    ReplyDelete