Monday, March 15, 2010

Fish Tacos


I think most people would agree with me when I say that there is a point in everyone's week/month/year when nothing else will satisfy their taste buds except for some good ole Mexican food. It's quick, easy to order, fills you up, and best of all, it's usually pretty cheap. Blame my love for Mexican food on the use of ripe tomatoes, smoky cumin, fresh cilantro, colorful peppers, and, of course, gooey melted cheeses.

But it's not the popular menu items, such as enchiladas, burritos, flautas, or even nachos, that keep bringing me back for more. For me, fish tacos are the most appealing menu item. I had my first one about a year ago, and have been hooked ever since. Who wouldn't want a piece of lightly fried (or grilled) fish, topped with fresh herbs, salsas and veggies, wrapped in a flour or corn tortilla? Just thinking about it makes my mouth water.

Since moving back to New Orleans last year, I have endeavored to find the city's best fish taco. It's a little too soon to completely call off the search; but in the meantime, Taqueria Corona on Magazine Street has been doing an excellent job of curing my taco cravings. Taqueria's fish taco is a great example of simple ingredients done right. It comes with lightly fried fish, shredded red cabbage, fresh cilantro, and a house-made spicy tartar sauce. Wrap it all up in a warm flour tortilla, sell it for about 3 bucks, and you've got a mid-week dinner that satisfies without breaking the bank.


Gazpacho: A cold veggie soup made from tomatoes, cucumbers, onions and fresh herbs.

Grab a seat at the bar and be part of the action in the kitchen.

Queso fundido: Melted white cheeses, jalapeƱo peppers, chipotle, and chopped scallions.

Taco salad with chicken.

The Best of New Orleans rewards don't lie.

No comments:

Post a Comment