Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Classic Creole


Even though I was born and bred a New Orleanian, I don't often indulge in the dishes that make this city so renowned. Famous creations such as jambalaya, gumbo, and etouffee aren't things I find myself eating as often as, say, Latin American or French cuisine. So it's always exciting to go to an established restaurant such as K. Paul's Louisiana Kitchen, located in the French Quarter on Chartres Street, and sample some real New Orleans style cookin'.

I had the chance to go last week with some friends and cross, yet, another restaurant off my list. We had so much food that it's hard to remember what I liked the most, but I can pretty confidently say that the oysters with caper dill sauce and the chicken and andouille gumbo were my favorites. In the world of gumbos I am usually partial to the seafood okra variety, but since I was so impressed with the chicken andouille gumbo here, I decided to give K. Paul's version a try. I was not disappointed. Their gumbo had the same thick, dark roux and was spicy with a subtle sweet flavor that I couldn't quite figure out. By the time our entrees came, I was already pretty full, but my fried rabbit with linguine, shrimp, and red-eye gravy made putting my fork down a little difficult.

The food at K. Paul's is incredibly rich and, therefore, not something I would choose to eat often. But occasionally it's fun to take a trip to the Quarter and savor some of the food that keeps tourists coming back year after year. Three appetizers, six entrees, two bottles of wine, and five desserts later our stomachs were full and our faces hurt from laughing. Food and friends are always the perfect combination.


Oysters with Caper Dill Sauce

Tablecloth artwork

Pan-Fried Rabbit Tenderloin with Creole Mustard Sauce

Blackened Drum with Chipotle butter

Fried Rabbit with Linguine, Shrimp and Red-Eye Gravy

Paneed Veal with Seafood, Mixed Vegetables and Mashed Potatoes

Cute recipe artwork

The restaurant was nice enough to bring out a complimentary dessert sampler of bread pudding, cheesecake, creme brulee with praline bottom, chocolate bundt cake with chocolate ganache, and Louisiana pecan pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment