Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Lunch Date


I've been on a healthy eating kick for the past couple of days...consider it a post-Mardi Gras detox. Fruit salad, Greek yogurt, and high protein cereals have been the breakfast staples, and my recent obsession with quinoa has put it in the lunch box every day for the past week. Needless to say, too much of something can get quite old, so I was pretty excited when a friend called and suggested that we go to Il Posto for lunch.

Located off of Valence on Dryades Street, Il Posto Italian cafe is definitely one of my favorite lunch spots. Its small, European style makes it incredibly charming, and I really love that they have fresh flowers on each table, straw baskets filled with bright yellow lemons, and comfy high-backed wooden chairs.

With the smell of hot-pressed sandwiches permeating the cafe, I fought my urge to order my usual prosciutto panini and instead went with the roasted beet and walnut salad with Gorgonzola. As the picture below shows, this salad demands to be seen (and eaten). The roasted beets were earthy yet sweet and the nutty and creamy consistencies from the walnuts and the cheese complimented the beets perfectly. The balsamic vinaigrette took a back seat in this dish so as not to interfere with all of the other flavors. While I don't often meet salads that I truly love, this one is most certainly lovable.


Beet and walnut salad with Gorgonzola

My friend ordered the hummus sandwich on multi-grain bread. Their hummus is some of the best I have ever had.

A raspberry tart as a little mid-day dessert :)

No comments:

Post a Comment