Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Refuel Cafe


I may have mentioned before that breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. It's the jump-start you need to take on whatever lies ahead and I think we can all agree that there's nothing quite like waking up to the smell of freshly baked biscuits and eggs frying in the skillet. Unfortunately, most days out of the week I find myself settling for cold cereal with fruit, so the occasional mid-week trip to a local breakfast joint to get the good stuff is always welcomed with open arms and a big appetite.

This week we decided to try Refuel, a breakfast/lunch/brunch place on Hampson, just a few doors down from here. Their breakfast menu lasts from 7 to 9 a.m. and consists of the traditional items such as eggs, waffles, and parfaits. I ordered the Garden Omelet with potatoes and my boyfriend ordered the Riser 1, which came with 2 eggs, 2 pieces of bacon, toast, grits, and a small cup of coffee. My breakfast was slightly disappointing because the omelet was watery (probably because of the spinach that was in it) and my potatoes were cold and tasteless. In fact, the absolute best part of the meal were my boyfriend's grits, which came out in a nice sized portion, super hot, and super creamy. Definitely the best grits I've found in New Orleans thus far.

The service was friendly, prices were reasonable, and I liked the clean and cozy atmosphere. So even though my breakfast was a let down, I'll most likely go back to Refuel for their weekend brunch, where they offer things such as a Prime Egg Sandwich, with prime rib and a fried egg, and Huevos Rancheros. Besides, those grits are a good enough reason to go back any day of the week.


Even though Refuel is a small restaurant, they have a lot of windows, making it seem much more open


Garden Omelet with potatoes and wheat toast


The best grits I have ever had

3 comments:

  1. no! you have to go back. it seriously has phenomenal breakfast i can't remember what it is exactly that I've gotten the three times I've gone, but its eggs in a wheat tortillia wrap grilled with a side of black beans and a spicy sauce to dip your little sandwich in. seriously! you must go back-- way too good! ps I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I plan on it. You probably went for the weekend brunch. The weekday breakfast isn't as fancy as what you're describing, which sounds like the Huevos Rancheros.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We went a couple of weeks ago and I ate all of my boyfriends grits and had a berry bowl, which was nice 'cause it was fresh, seasonal fruit. But the best thing was the BLT breakfast sandwich! It was made with short-back bacon, which is next to impossible to find!! Another good place to check-out for great breakfast food, and REAL bacon is Huevos!

    ReplyDelete